Water birth is a method of birth that has become widespread recently. What are the benefits and risks of the method of birth in the water that many mothers wonder about?
Birth in water; It is a method of birth made in a pool filled with water at a temperature of 37 degrees. Hot water allows the mother to relax and give birth more comfortably.
How to Give Birth in Water?
In the method of birth in the water, the opening time of the uterus is passed at home as much as possible. Once the necessary openness is achieved, to the water is entered. The temperature of the water must be followed. Birth with a midwife or doctor is performed. At birth in the water, the baby can be given to the arms of the mother as soon as it is born.
What Conditions Must Be Met for Water Birth?
- Water birth is a method used to facilitate normal birth. For this reason, the mother should not try to stress, should provide a peaceful environment.
- A healthy communication between the mother and the doctor should be established.
- If there is a risky pregnancy, it is not appropriate to give birth in water.
- For emergency cases, in the hospital should be adequately trained personnel.
What are the Advantages of Water Birth?
The birth in water allows the mother to the birth experience more easy. The advantages of water birth can be listed as follows:
- It makes birth pains easier and accelerates birth.
- Facilitates the birth process by relaxing the mother and baby.
- Water provides a comfortable transition for the baby because it resembles the environment in the womb.
- Water facilitates movement during labor as it reduces the body weight of the mother.
- Reduces blood pressure due to stress caused by birth.
- Since water increases the elasticity of the area where the baby comes out, there is no need for eplzyotomy (cut to the vagina wall) and sutures applied in normal delivery.
In What Circumstances is Water Birth a Risk?
The risk of birth in the water is not different from the risk of other births when appropriate conditions are met. The risks of water birth can be listed as follows:
- If the baby turns upside-down, births can be risky.
- If the mother has diabetes, water birth is not recommended.
- In the case of large infants, water birth may be risky.
- If there are multiple pregnancies, water birth may be risky.
- If the disinfectant and temperature of the pool to be delivered cannot be well adjusted, birth may be risky.
- The birth in water carries the risk of infection due to the fact that the birth canal is open.
- If the mother’s excrement touches the water, the baby can get infected with the germ.
- Birth in water is not as painless as an epidural.
- If the mother’s weight is more than normal, the birth may be risky.
- In the case of premature birth, birth is not recommended.